The Board of Trustees have a vacancy for a Trustee. The Trustees of Heene Community Centre, a Charity, play a vital role in ensuring that the Community Centre achieves its purpose of providing a safe and welcoming place for training, learning, recreation and leisure, for all members of the local community, and those further afield. The Community Centre has 9 rooms for hire, a garden and a thriving café. The current Trustee Board consists of 8 Trustees.
In 2019 the Centre received the prestigious Queen’s Award for Voluntary Service.
The Centre employs 3 full time and 8 part time staff and is managed on a day-to-day basis by the Centre Manager. The café has its own Café Manager. Both managers’ report directly to the Trustees. The building is owned by Worthing Borough Council and leased to the Charity. There are currently 8 Trustees including the Chair, Vice Chairs, Secretary and Honorary President. The Centre is well established in the local area and opened in 1984.
The Centre is extremely busy and runs classes in addition to hiring rooms to hirers. It is estimated that over 2,000 people a week visit the Centre. The Centre receives no outside funding, and its income is solely generated by the hiring of its rooms, the income from the Café and the income from two fairs held in the summer and at Christmas.
• To attend meetings, every six weeks, of the Board of Trustees and contribute to discussions and to review the minutes once circulated.
• Willing to be responsible and take ownership of specific projects as and when they arise.
• Providing assistance to the Chair, Vice Chairs, or other Trustees as and when needed.
• Assisting at the Christmas and Summer Fayres by manning stalls, selling raffle tickets, and assisting the hirers and general public.
• Ensuring that policies and procedures, crafted and articulated by Trustees and management, are in place for activities and internal operations, and in line with Heene Community Centre’s values, and with the principles of good administration.
• To participate with the other Trustees in articulating and approving policies for the governance, strategic direction and financing of Heene Community Centre.
• Review and approve Heene Community Centre’s financial statements.
The following experience is desirable, but not essential, as support will be provided
• Experience with ideally a business or financial background.
• Experience of working at board, Trustee, or committee level.
• Use of independent judgement to promote and protect Heene Community Centre’s interests
• Effective communication skills and willingness to participate actively in discussion.
• A strong personal commitment to the values of the Heene Community Centre.
• An understanding of Heene Community Centre and the local area.
Terms of appointment
Terms of office, Trustees are appointed for a 1-year term of office, and are renewed each year. This is a voluntary position.
• Half to one day a month.
• Trustee meetings are held every 6 weeks on a Wednesday afternoon at 2pm.
• The AGM is held once a year after a Trustee meeting.
If the above is of interest, or you have any questions, please contact the Chair of Trustees, Nigel Barden, at firstname.lastname@example.org